Annual business symposium features keynote speakers

From the corporate world to small town successes, running a business can take a lot of time, money and work.

To teach students about the important aspects of working for a business or starting their own, the College of Business hosted the 2013 Business Symposium featuring keynote speakers in various fields.

The event offered informational sessions on topics ranging from capitalism to using the Internet to promote business. Students engaged in a brain bowl and even had the opportunity to meet ice cream moguls Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield.

Alan Hebert, executive district manager in sales for Astra Zeneca and a previous ULM Professional Marketer of the Year, spoke on staying relevant through the changing times, and adapting to new media and opportunities.

Hebert not only encouraged students to improve themselves professionally and emotionally, but to embrace change.

“Keep your mind open at all times. Be willing to expose yourself to new information, and be willing to listen to others’ opinions,” Hebert said.

According to Hebert, true leaders focus on how to attract individuals that offer various skills so that they can have a diverse leadership group and ensure the satisfaction of customers.

Catherine Church, a senior general business major, focused on Hebert’s message of growth.

“The most valuable thing I learned is continuing your education post-graduation,” Church said.

Church learned that joining or running a business is a learning experience, and Hebert emphasized the importance of applying knowledge in and out of the classroom.

Brent T. Tredway of CPCU spoke on exploring options in the surplus line industry, and Jeremy Cable, a junior general business major, was surprised by Tredway’s speech.

“My favorite part was when [Tredway] offered his ULM intern a full time job on his sales team in front of everyone. He said, ‘I need to put my money where my mouth is,’ and she started crying and accepted the job,” Cable said.

Hebert advised students to communicate and keep in touch with professors.

“There are many of them that have a wealth of knowledge and experience in other industries. They can offer some guidance,” Hebert said.