Men’s golf crushes competition

The men’s golf team captured its first win of the season at the Quail Valley Collegiate Invitational in Vero Beach, Fla.

In their first tournament since finishing third at the Bill Ross Intercollegiate, the Warhawks dominated the field, winning by an impressive 21 strokes over the second place finisher.

First year coach Walt Williams told his players before the last round to make sure to finish the tournament on a high note.

“I said, ‘I don’t want to back into this. I want to pull away and increase the lead and win comfortably. I don’t want there to be any doubt on who’s the best team here.’”

Senior Charlie Macneal finished in first by 11 strokes. Sophomore Greg Smail finished second in the field. Junior Mason Seaborn also contributed a top 10 finish.

Macneal was proud of the total team effort in bring home the first win.

“It felt good. The guys have been working hard. It was good this week because everyone sort of contributed,” Macneal said. “Last week, we showed with some of the guys, but this week everyone put up some good scores. It was an all-around team effort. It felt good.”

Macneal has been on a hot streak of late, posting a first place finish at the Houston Baptist Men’s Intercollegiate and a third place finish at the Bill Ross Intercollegiate respectfully.

Williams says that Macneal’s success helps to motivate the team.

“Success motivates success. Obviously, he’s playing really well and the other guys are seeing the success he is having and they want that same success too,” said Williams.

“He’s a perfect example of the kind of player your want your others to be like because he works really hard and he’s very passionate about it. He’s having the success he deserves from that.”

The team now turns its attention to the Arkansas State Fall Beach Classic.

Coach Williams has faith that his team can pull out another win.

“There’s really no reason why if we don’t play well we can’t be up there with a chance to win, and that’s what we’re going to try to do every week everywhere we go.”