Fall Fusion pays tribute to Nabors

Fall Fusion pays tribute to Nabors

Photo by Robert BrownThe ULM Dance Department featured students from the Dance Repertory Ensemble and a folk dance class at its annual Fall Fusion Dance Concert.

Fall Fusion included several different styles of dance such as Afro-Caribbean, jazz, modern dance and musical theater.

The students performed faculty works by ULM Dance Program director Robin Stephens, associate professor of theatre and dance Tina Mullone and instructor of theatre and dance Gretchen Jones.

Part of the concert was dedicated to the late music professor Louis Nabors.

He taught at ULM for about 40 years and was a close friend of Mullone.

She choreographed and performed “Basso Profundo Grief” and choreographed “Comfort” in memory of him.

The first piece of the night, “Future to the Past” showcased techniques of Afro-Caribbean, African and Cuban dancing.

“Tonight, we celebrate the dancer,” Stephens said.

The next piece, “It Don’t Mean a Thing If You Ain’t Got That Swing,” was a jazz selection modernized by strobe lights and other techniques.

Three selections from West Side Story including “Dance in the Gym” and “America” and “Cool” were performed and briefly captured the forbidden romance between the main characters, Tony and Maria.

“My favorite part of being a part of Fall Fusion is just being able to perform onstage. This Fall Fusion is even more special than past ones because we did a piece in honor of Dr. Louis Nabors,” said Melissa Snelling, a sophomore kinesiology major.

Kaitlyn Harville, a sophomore secondary education major said that she loved the diversity of the show. She loved the pieces from “West Side Story.” Her favorite performance was “America” from “West Side Story.”

“But I didn’t like the strobe light during one dance because I couldn’t focus on the dancers,” Harville said.