Jindal proposes increase in higher education funding

Louisiana education could be in for a change. Gov. Bobby Jindal announced his plan to fund higher education in his 2014-2015 state budget proposal.

The state of Lousiana has not been so fortunate when it comes to education. For decades, Louisiana has been ranked near the bottom of the 50 states in education, according to the Southwest Educational Development Laboratory.

Gov. Jindal has been suggesting cuts in education for the past six years.

But Jindal recently proposed a $24.9 billion dollar state budget and plans to increase education funding for public colleges and universities. Before Jindal’s plan to fund higher education, there had been over $700 million in cuts made since 2008.

Eddie Cooper, a junior business major, said, “He should have never cut education in the first place because how are we supposed to build leaders for the future if we don’t give them proper education.”

Since the country’s economic decline in 2008, education has been held in higher standards and it’s hard to get a job without one.

Johsua Stockley, a political science professor, said, “For once I’m finally happy to hear the governor recognize that you cannot have work force development without educational investment.”

Stockley also said, “cutting higher education, doesn’t send a signal that you’re serious about long-term development.”

Jindal’s plans will include the $40 million state funding pool to help campuses with initiatives, matching students to jobs and $12 million for other targeted projects at colleges.

Jindal said that his spending plan would boost higher education funding by $142 million dollars, but $88 million of that will come from increased tuition costs on students. One thing students never like to hear is “increase” and “tuition costs” in the same sentence.

Avery Dace, a freshman music education major, is a huge fan of this program.

“It’s a great incentive to work hard and get good grades to help reduce the amount of student loans,” Dace said.

Jindal’s budget plan is expected to help the TOPS fund grow by $17 million. This college scholarship fund offers financial support to any Louisiana resident who attends college in the state and earns certain grades and test scores.