Students, faculty switch places for a day

brunodesk2Ten students had the opportunity to trade places with 10 faculty and staff members for half a day Tuesday.

31 Ambassadors sponsored “The Big Switch.” Students purchased tickets for a chance to participate in the event.

Clint Branton, a biology major, switched with President Nick Bruno.

Branton spent half a day meeting with different people in Bruno’s office.

Branton said having meetings all morning was better than going to class, but having so many things going on that early in the morning was a bit stressful. He said the experience was humbling.

“Just what I’ve been doing is a lot for me, and that’s not even half of what Bruno has to do on a daily basis,” Branton said.

Vivian Bullock, a freshman psychology major, traded mornings with Wayne Brumfield, vice president for student affairs.

She spent her morning answering phones and talking with Brumfield, who got off the hook because Bullock’s ballet class was cancelled.

Before going to Bullock’s history class, he explained what his office is responsible for on campus.

“We do a lot of events,” said Brumfield, “We take care of all of student life and Greek life.”

Clint Mercer, a senior political science major, switched with Leonard Clark, director of graduate school.

Mercer spent his morning in meetings reviewing grant and research proposals. He also reviewed the design of the school website and the changes being made to it.

Seth Hall, operations manager for the college of business and social sciences, traded places with Alex Portor, a sophomore major in music education.

Portor took on the tasks of Hall’s former position, coordinator of orientation and special programs. Portor listened to interviews of potential “Hawkseekers.” Hall attended Portor’s music theory class, and he said it was intense.

“It was way beyond me, but it was a really cool class,” Hall said.

Elisa Murillo, a junior atmospheric science major, and Josh Stockley, associate professor of political science, traded places for the morning. Murillo taught Stockley’s two political science classes of the morning. Her favorite part of the day was “being able to learn about political science while technically teaching it.”

Stockley went to Murillo’s honors art and general meteorology classes.

Stockley said he liked that the students were able to gain an appreciation for the things professors do. He enjoyed seeing his students interact while he is not teaching.

Stockley said that he gained an appreciation for the challenge taking notes during this experience.

“Hopefully, I’ll be more mindful of the speed [of my lectures],” Stockley said.

“The Big Switch” has been a ULM event for over 20 years every spring.

Brooke O’Bryant, associate director of alumni affairs, said the purpose of the event is to show students the administrative side of college and vice versa.