Seminar debunks sexual assault myths

Seminar debunks sexual assault myths

“No means no.” That was the message Melanie Clark of The Wellspring delivered to students at an outreach program about Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention last Tuesday.

At the seminar, Clark dispelled myths and misconceptions about sexual assault and rape.

“Anyone can be sexually assaulted. If you don’t give consent, it’s assault,” said Clark.

Sexual assault is any sexual contact, physical or verbal, that takes place without the victim’s lawful consent. Clark said sexual assault is an act of violence, not sex.

According to Clark, sexual assault can happen anywhere, any time, to anyone. One in three women and one in 33 men will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.

In many cases, the attacks are planned in advance, said Clark.

Silence, “maybe,” and “no” are not consent. Consent cannot legally be given under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

“Alcohol is the number one date rape drug,” Clark said.

The chances of assault are greater for college students. About 25 percent of women will experience a completed or attempted rape during their college career.

image courtesy of rainn.org

Girls living in sorority houses are three times more likely to be sexually assaulted, and students living in dorms are 1.4 times more likely to be assaulted.

Only 28 percent of victims report their assault to the police. More than half of raped college women will tell no one about the incident. Many rapists never serve time for their crimes.

Emily Greer attended because sexual assault awareness is a cause promoted by her sorority, Alpha Omicron Pi, on a national level.

“I think it’s something we all need to be aware of,” said Greer.

Clark said each victim handles the situation differently. However, about 75 percent of women who resist immediately avoid being raped and are less likely to be injured.

Victims of sexual assault are more likely to suffer from depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

They are also more likely to abuse drugs or alcohol and contemplate suicide.

The Wellspring offers help to sexual assault victims and can be reached at (318) 323-1505.