Students explore the nest through Instagram

ULM students can win monetary prizes and discover the campus community with the popular social media photography application Instagram.

The Office of Public Information and Campus Activities Board are sponsoring the campus-wide contest on Instagram called “Warhawks Explore the Nest.” The contest began August 19 and ends October 7.

Hunter Harris is the Communications and Marketing Specialist at the Office of Public Information.

Harris wanted to keep ULM’s social media “fresh for students.” Harris said that he wanted to engage students but not stray from ULM traditions.

The contest means to send students out of their dorm rooms to explore the “nest.” The “nest” that is ULM is new and possibly daunting for incoming freshmen, but the competition can help them to adjust.

“The nest could mean being at home,” Harris said.

Harris said that students should realize the campus, community and cultural aspects of Monroe around them.

Students at Convocation last Wednesday already began participating by uploading pictures at Convocation to Instagram, completing task one of “go to Convocation.”

However, the competition continues past the Week of Welcome. Tasks involving Homecoming and athletic events will keep participants busy throughout the semester.

“It is a cool way to get new students involved,” Stephen Snelling, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major, said.

Students can win either by speed or creativity.  The “Speedy Warhawk Path” rewards the student who completes 31 of 50 listed tasks and shows proof in an Instagram picture in the shortest amount of time. This student will win $150 in ULM Bookstore credit and “exclusive access” for the home against ULL on November 15.

With the “Creative Warhawk Path,” students submit their best photographs to Instagram that show completion of the listed tasks. Three winners will be chosen based on “likes” on Facebook and Instagram.

Judges will select five pictures based on creativity, originality, and Warhawk spirit to upload to ULM’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. “Fans” will have a week to judge and select their favorite pictures by “liking” the pictures on Facebook and Instagram.

The first place winner will win the same prize as the “Speedy Warhawk” winner.  The second place winner will win $100 in Bookstore credit and the third place winner $50 in Bookstore credit.

The rules said participants should follow the Instagram account @ULMonroe and submit their photographs through Instagram labeled with the tag #ULMNest and tag @ULMonroe in the pictures, including the corresponding number of the task from the list.

Students can find all of the official rules and more information on ULM’s Facebook page.

The competition allows students to generate social media content to give the community and even prospective students the chance to “explore the nest.”