ULM loses 42-35 in 2OT to Florida International

The ULM Warhawks dropped a painful game on Saturday against the Florida International Golden Panthers, 42-35, in double overtime.

ULM quarterback Kolton Browning erupted for 339 yards and three touchdowns for the ULM’s first 300-yard passing performance since 2006. However, it was his costly interception late in the fourth quarter that extended the game.

Both teams matched touchdowns in the first overtime period, but ULM could not respond to Darriet Perry’s touchdown that sealed the game for the Golden Panthers.

ULM (4-5, 3-3 Sun Belt) passed the ball extremely well as Browning completed 27 of his 38 passes. Tavarese Maye led all Warhawk receivers with 146 yards on seven catches. Maye also scored a touchdown that allowed ULM to come back from a 17-7 deficit.

FIU (3-5, 3-1 Sun Belt) kept up the tempo in the game with a balanced offensive attack and huge performance by junior wide receiver T.Y. Hilton.

Hilton scored four touchdowns in a variety of ways to along with 291 all-purpose yards. Perry ran the ball the ball 20 times for 112 yards to bolster the Golden Panthers’ running game.

ULM will look to bounce back against the No. 5-ranked LSU Tigers at 6 p.m. Saturday. The game will be shown on pay-per-view and ESPN3.