Jindal sets sights on White House bid

Gov. Bobby Jindal hinted at possibly running for president when he spoke at a recent breakfast by Christian Science Monitor, according to Reuters.

Joshua Stockley, associate professor of political science, said that he believes Jindal is “presently unofficially running for president,” but Jindal has not yet announced or launched an official bid.

Stockley said this would not occur until next year.

Stockley said the current stage of the election process is the “invisible primary” in which possible candidates seek the attention of donors, activists and interest groups.

Jindal is one out of more than 20 Republicans who have expressed an interest in possibly running for president in 2016.

“If Governor Jindal survives the Republican invisible primary and officially launches a bid for president, then this would actually be, regardless of your personal opinion of him as an individual or politician, a huge compliment for the State of Louisiana,” Stockley said.

Louisiana’s last serious presidential hopeful was Huey P. Long.

Long was slated to run in 1936, but was shot and killed in 1935.

Stockley said Louisiana “has spent decades trying to emerge from his shadow and reputation.”

Stockley also said that Jindal could possibly help escape stigma about Louisiana politicians due to negative incidents involving politicians such as Edwin Edwards and former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin.

Hilary Solet, a senior political science major, also said that Jindal will most likely run in 2016.

However, she doesn’t think that he has enough support to win the Republican primary.

Solet said that now is not the right time for Jindal to run and that the Common Core issue needs to settle down as “a lot of people in his own state would not support him.”

Solet does not think Jindal running for president will have a significant impact on Louisiana.

“I don’t think he’d get far enough to have any effect on Louisiana in this day and time,” Solet said.

Solet said that it is too early for any hopefuls to officially announce running and that “no one would want to take focus off of defeating Mary Landrieu at this time.”

Solet also said that gubernatorial elections are coming up next year.

“Jindal is too smart to jump into the ring with big names such as Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Ben Carson at the time where his potential is so uncertain,” Solet said.