Students explore war developed theology

World War I marks the turning point in theology, according to George Wortham.

Wortham, theologian and pastor of Highland Presbyterian church, presented “The First World War as a Theological Turning Point” as per the series of presentations provided by the School of Humanities to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first World War.

Wortham explored the differences and changes in theology during World War I.

Theology is the study of the nature of God and religious beliefs, and Wortham spoke about protestant theology in “sweeping generalizations.”

Wortham said that pre-World War I, there was a “great deal of optimism” in theology that quickly decreased as the talk of war developed into actions.

“At the very moment when culture thought that it had risen above primitive and destructive forces of its evolution, it was forced to look long and hard at the shadow side of human nature,” Wortham said.

Wortham explained this “shadowy side” as the unconscious and its impulses and images that affect behavior.

“This information gives a greater understanding to the destructive side of human beings,” Wortham said.

Davion Prater, a junior digital media major, was among Wortham’s audience for a class.

“It was very informative and it was interesting to see how World War I formed modern religion,” Prater said.

As a sophomore communications major, Kyra Sutterfield said that the presentation was well-spoken.

“I appreciate the clear perception this gave of the ideology, thought processes, and methods of belief systems during World War I,” Sutterfield said.

Wortham hopes that we will continue to fight the destructive side of the human race.