International patent and awards given to pharmacy school

ULM’s School of Pharmacy recently earned regional, national and international recognition.

A research team earned the university’s first-ever dual United States and international patent for Vitamin E compounds with enhanced anticancer qualities.

The patent called “Tocotrienol Derivatives and Associated Methods” is based on compounds created by faculty members Khalid El Sayed, Paul Sylvester and alumnus and former pharmacy graduate student Fathy Behery.

Khalid El Sayed, professor of medicinal and natural products chemistry, said, “The Vitamin E group is the best example of multi-disciplinary coordinated research efforts.”

El Sayed said they were approached based on Sylvester’s reputation with Vitamin E.  Sylvester assembled the team in terms of expertise and direction like a small factory.

“That was a perfect example of a small pharmaceutical company within the ULM School of Pharmacy,” El Sayed said.

El Sayed attributed to the patent’s impact to its use and work with natural products. He said 50 percent of today’s drugs like chemotherapeutics to treat cancer are based on natural products.

Paul Sylvester, professor of pharmacology, called it a “drug discovery with the potential of a commercial windfall for the university.”

According to Sylvester, El Sayed created some “really beautiful compounds” after tackling challenges with the natural Vitamin E compounds being fat-soluble and making it more water-soluble.

Sylvester said there are limits on “how much you can get into the body,” as they tried to make it more potent while maintaining an optimal balance.

Sylvester also said these new compounds are “more effective as anticancer agents.” 

“These things have tremendous potential in terms of treatment for cancer but also other things,” Sylvester said.

Sylvester said the “very strong patent” was years in the making but had a quick approval time for international patents of around three years.

ULM’s Vitamin E team also included Amal Kaddoumi and Sami Nazzal.

In addition to faculty recognition for the patent, students received recognition for recent accomplishments.

Pharmacy students won several awards at the American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists mid-year regional meeting in Austin, Texas.

ULM’s chapter received the Chapter Challenge Award after earning the most points in the region.

Through Operation Diabetes, 176 student pharmacists offered diabetes education and clinical services to 1,257 patients in Louisiana last year.

Hannah Holbrook, a pharmacy student and Operation Immunization Chairperson, said, “Even as students, we can be leaders and have an impact on patients.”

In addition to the awards, ULM’s Operation Immunization was selected to host a roundtable discussion.