Marijuana legalization trends stirs debate

Recent elections resulted in the legalization of marijuana in more states and areas across the country. 

Citizens in Alaska, Oregon and Washington, D.C. voted in favor of legalizing marijuana in varying degrees.  As Colorado and Washington already legalized it, marijuana will now be legal for recreational use in four states.

Twenty-four states have legalized marijuana for medical use by prescription, and eighteen states have decriminalized its use.

Kylen Smith, a junior psychology major, said legalization requires certain regulations.

“People are going to abuse them regardless, but as long as a general populous follows them, it should be generally okay,” Smith said.

Though more states have started to legalize it, marijuana remains illegal under federal law with little federal action regarding it.

“For the most part the federal government appears to be turning their heads the other way, and have been for a number of years. This is one of the first times I have really seen the law evolve like this with states just thumbing their nose at federal law,” said Elizabeth Guerriero, an associate professor in the College of Business and Social Sciences at ULM.

Guerriero noticed the effects of legalization of marijuana for medical use in Venice Beach, California. 

She said lines of people waited to be seen and to get a prescription as doctors lined the city and sometimes offered samples.  This medical marijuana was also available in vending machines and dispensaries.

“This shows how it is already being treated much differently from other narcotic drugs and is being treated more like alcohol, despite the fact it has been classified as medicinal and requires a prescription,” said Guerriero. “It will eventually become as common place as alcohol and the rules will likely be similar.”

States that have legalized recreational use of marijuana have certain restrictions to control use. 

For example, possession and use for people under 21 who aren’t prescribed medical marijuana is still illegal.  Public consumption is also banned.  People are not allowed to take marijuana out of the state.

Benjamin Vu, a freshman pre-pharmacy major, said an age restriction of 21 is necessary for marijuana use because it “changes your state of mind.”

Vu said he believed it would put people in a better mental state and become more peaceful and relaxed.

“I say 21 because that’s the point where your brain is matured, and you can process decisions better,” Vu said.

Carleigh Roberts does not believe that marijuana should be legalized.

“It’s often at the heart of criminal activity,” said Roberts, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major.

Marijuana has not been legalized for medical or recreational use in Louisiana.

View Comments (1)