Counselor says turn frown upside down

ULM counselor Traci Clark explained to students at the “Art of Positive Thinking” workshop Tuesday that while a majority of happiness is not in their control, 40 percent of it is.

According to Clark, this percentage is composed of two things, the cognitive component and the affective component. That means the way you think of your own life and our balance between positive and negative emotions.

Clark said that the ideal balances are three positive thoughts for every one negative thought.

“It’s not something I’ve thought of before but it’s really true. It’s something we should all try to do,” said Destiny Davis, freshman radiology technology major.

Clark gave a list of exercises the students can do each day to help improve positive thinking: supporting friends when they have good news, thinking of three good things that have happened to you each day and other activities.

“The three blessings or good things a day is something that’s very important. I’m a Christian too and so I feel like I have been blessed in life. It’s good for people to reflect on those things each day,” Que’ena Hampton, freshman kinesiology major, said.

Clark then gave students a list of benefits that positive thinking can have on their lives. Such as doing better at work, raising better children, building solid relationships and more.

“Negative thinking is easy to do. Positive thinking is a lot harder. It really is like an art form,” Clark said.