Football coach fired after loss

After the Warhawks suffered their eighth loss in a row and ninth of the season head coach Todd Berry was relieved of his coaching duties.

ULM director of Athletics Brian Wickstrom said he wanted to express his gratitude for Berry’s time at ULM.

“I want to thank Todd for his services. He and his staff raised the level of the program, brought national attention to the university in 2012 and throughout his time directing the program,” Wickstrom said.

Defensive line coach John Mumford will be the interim coach for the Warhawk’s remaining three games of the year.

The search for a new coach will begin at the end of the season. IMG_8205 copy

Berry began his coaching career as an offensive coordinator at East Carolina University in 1992.

There he spent four seasons before becoming the Illinois State Red Bird’s head coach in 1996.

He brought the team to the national semi-finals in 1999.

After spending four seasons at Illinois State he was hired as the head football coach at Army.

There his team went 5-35 over four seasons despite setting 25 Academy records under his tenure.

He was subsequently fired from Army and began a two year stint as the offensive coordinator at ULM.

Under his and the rest of the coaching staff’s guidance the team went to the Sun Belt Conference Championship in 2005.

Berry then spent time as the offensive coordiantor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, before returning to become ULM’s 14 head football coach in 2009.

During his six seasons as the head coach of the Warhawks the team went 28-43 overall.

The team had its only winning year under his tutelage in 2012 when ULM went 8-5.

That year the team was also vaulted into the national spotlight with a win over the then number 8 ranked Arkansas Razorbacks.

That game has since been known as “the shock in Little Rock.”

His final season of 2015-2016 the team went 1-9 before the decision was made to let him go with three games remaining on the schedule.

His last game saw his team downed by the Arkansas State Red Wolves in a 59-21 blowout.

ULM quarterback Garrett Smith went out with an injury in the first quarter but the Warhawks were able to tie the game in the second.

Running back Ben Luckett broke through a gap in the left side of the line for an 85 yard touchdown run to knot the game at 21 apiece.

The Warhawks suffered three more injuries over the course of the game and the Redwolves ran away with it in the second pouring on 24 more points.

Former coach Todd Berry said the team gave good effort but failed to make plays.

“I felt like we competed. They were able to hit on a lot of explosion plays and that made the difference,” Berry said.