Crain at Miss America

Photo courtsey of University Relations
Photo courtsey of University Relations
Photo courtsey of University Relations
Photo courtsey of University Relations

Former Miss ULM competes in 2011 televised pageant.

by Jaclyn Jones

Just eight months after claim­ing the Miss ULM title, Kelsi Crain went on to compete for and win the title of Miss Loui­siana.

On Jan. 6, Crain flew to Las Vegas to compete for a new title: Miss America.

Although Crain, a junior kinseilogy major from Monroe, didn’t bring home the crown, she did bring home some life­long memories.

“Competing in the Miss America pageant was an experi­ence of a lifetime,” said Crain.

“It was nerve racking and ex­citing all at the same time; it was amazing, and it’s an experience I will always remember.”

Along with memories, Crain also gained numerous friends. She and a few of the other con­testants still keep in contact, and in fact are planning a road trip to Las Vegas to watch the pag­eant next year.

But until then Crain plans to continue to fulfill her duties as Miss Louisiana until it’s time to hand over her title in June.

President Nick Bruno accompanied Crain to the Monroe air­port to wish her luck before her flight to Las Vegas.

“Kelsi represented Louisiana and our university with grace and beauty. I am proud she is one of our students,” Bruno said.

Students of ULM gathered around their television sets to watch Crain represent both ULM and the state of Louisiana in the pageant.

“I was rooting for her. I mean, who wasn’t? She’s beautiful, not to mention a Warhawk and she did a good job represent­ing Louisiana,” Jaquita Smith, a sophomore marketing major, from Shreveport, said.

Others who don’t usually watch the Miss America pag­eant also gathered in support of Crain.

Andrea’ Jackson, a junior English major from Leesville, was proud of Crain.

“I usually don’t watch pag­eants, but I remember hearing that she [Crain] was competing, so I decided to tune in. And I’m glad I did; it was cool to watch,” Jackson said.

contact Jaclyn Jones at
[email protected]