School Closes for Spring Semester Snowfall

Students were welcomed back to the spring semester with record breaking temperatures and snowfall.

Students were scheduled to return to class on Jan. 16, but because of the expectancy of snowfall, ULM remained closed.

Snow in Monroe is a rare occurrence and for some students that weren’t here for the Snowpocalypse in the spring of 2015, this was their very first time experiencing the cold flurries.

The snow began to fall around 4 a.m. with temperatures just below freezing.

The snow turned into ice which remained on campus until Friday.

However, the freezing cold temperatures didn’t stop the students from taking advantage of their off day.

Much like the last time snow fell on campus, students started snowball fights, sled down hills and snapped many photos in remembrance of Snowmagedon 2018.

Smiles were as bright as the snow that covered the ground.

Warm coats, smiles and snow covered ULM’s campus.

“I’m from down south Louisiana, so I don’t get to experience this often,” nursing major, Lexus Eskina said.

Although the snow began melting by the end of Tuesday night, the university remained closed on Jan. 17th as a precautionary measure for the roads covered in ice.

Some students weren’t too thrilled about the second day school closure.

“I enjoyed playing in the snow, but the weather wasn’t as cold as I thought,” freshman business administration marketing major, Albina Gautam said.

“I’m disappointed that I had to reschedule an important meeting with my professor,” Gautam continued.

Students who have experienced snow before felt it “wasn’t enough snow for classes to be canceled,” general education foreign exchange student, Momo Tokumasu said.

The university reopened on Thursday, Jan. 18 at 9 a.m.

Students got back in the swing of things as the spring semester finally kicked off.

Warhawks felt rejuvenated with the extra two days of winter break and were ready to conquer this semester.

“I’m excited about this semester because I got the classes that I actually wanted,” Gautam said.

Momo made plans this semester to begin interning and to join more clubs.

Spring semester couldn’t have started off in a better way with two extra days of rest and relaxation.