Golden Society honors 50-year graduates

There’s been a change in name, a change in president and a whole lot of changes to the campus, but all the attendees at Friday’s Golden Society event agreed they still love their alma mater.

On Friday, the Alumni Association, with help from 31 Ambassadors, hosted its Golden Society Dinner honoring the 50-year graduates of the university.

The Golden Society Dinner held its event at the new Bayou Pointe Student Event Center.

All members of the Alumni Association and ULM graduates were invited to come honor the classes of 1967 and 1968 as they celebrated their 50-year graduation.

Former students of the university came from far and wide to reunite with their old classmates and get a glimpse into what became of their alma mater.

Ashley Hunter, a senior kinesiology major, says it’s a great privilege to be able to meet some of the alums.

“Sometimes, you meet people with great connections, and you also get to hear about what their experience was like when they came to ULM,” Hunter said.

The evening was full of laughter and good times.

President Bruno made an appearance early on and stayed throughout the night mingling with the attendees.

Although lacking many students, Bayou Pointe had a packed house for Friday’s event.

The Golden Society Dinner honors 50-year graduates. Previous inductees to the society are also invited to attend the event.

Among the many reflections made, the number one comment was how much the campus has changed in 50 years.

The second favorite topic of choice of the Golden Society inductees was how much they’ve changed over the years.

Junior computer information systems major and 31 Ambassador, Pujan Dahal wasn’t able to participate with the rest of his organization, but he strongly advocates students and alumni bonding.

“Having 31 participate in the Golden Society Dinner serves the purpose of letting students bond with our alums,” Dahal said.

All the members of 31 Ambassadors agree it’s their job to help bridge the gap between alumni, the campus and current students.

The attendees at the event went home happy, having reconnected with old friends and their old campus.

An added bonus to these events is the connections formed with newer students.

After discussing the ongoing changes made to the university, graduates and current students all agree no matter how much the place changes, it will always be home.

31 Ambassadors’ next event will be Oozeball, an annual university tradition that pits co-ed teams against each other in muddy volleyball.  The event will be held this Friday.