Budget cuts nix this year’s Job Expo

Looking forward to the Job Expo? Well you’re going to have to wait until next fall.

The Office of Career Connec­tions will not be hosting it this semester due to the budget cuts.

Student employment admin­istrator, Roslynn Pogue, explains the reason behind the cancella­tion is the limited funding.

“We’re only given so much money a year and once funding becomes available we will refer back to the students who are on the waiting list for work study,” Pogue said.

An email was sent out last week notifying students of the cancellation.

Baneita Smith, a sophomore marketing major from Shreve­port, was less than pleased with the news.

“I was on the waiting list se­mester and never heard anything so I was really looking forward to the Job Expo this semester,” Smith said.

Students who attended the Job Expo last semester filled out a Work-Study request card and were placed on a waiting list. Once funding becomes avail­able students on the list will be awarded work-study, depending on the amount of funds avail­able, and will be notified via email.

“We have to watch our fund­ing, and we simply agreed to forgo the Job Expo this semes­ter. But we will be having one Fall Semester,” said Pogue. “It’s a disappointment for us too, she added.

“After hearing the reason, it’s understandable. Hopefully I’ll get lucky. If not, I’ll just have to wait till next semester,” said Smith.

If students would like to be placed on the waiting list, they must fill out a federal work-study request card at the Office of Career Connections, Library room 302.

contact Jaclyn Jones at

[email protected]