To spend or to save, that is the question

Refund checks on their way, little self control for students

Excitement is in the air the week leading up to the distribu­tion of students’ refund checks.

As malls are calling and new toys beckoning, students begin to stratagize on exactly where each newly recieved penny will go.

“I plan on putting my refund into my savings,” Scott Simo­neax, a sophomore Mass Com­munications major from Rayne, said.

However, not all students can resist the need or temptation of spending their checks instead of saving it like Simoneax.

Whether based on need or want, students all have various ways they want to use their re­fund checks. Some students need to pay back parents or rela­tives who chipped in on dorm expenses and school supplies, while others will use it to buy a car or a much needed laptop.

The temptation to spend the money is very strong.

Lauren Arnold, a junior art education major from Bossier City, was excited about her plans. “I’m going to take a trip to New Orleans with some of the money and save the rest.”

Arnold is not alone in spend­ing her money.

In Schulze Cafeteria, many tables are filled with people sharing or making their plans.

Some are planning a shop­ping spree at the Pecanland Mall while others want to get a manicure. Students want video games, clothes, shoes and so much more.

However, the thing they want most is the freedom. Finally away from their parents, with their own money in hand, many students are itching to make their own decisions: whether to spend or save.