Students see benefits, drawbacks in 2-and-2 agreements

Although two-and-two agreements between the University and community colleges provide students a cheaper option for taking basic classes, students on both sides of the debate argue that students who are able to attend a four-year school immediately after high school should take advantage of the opportunity.

ULM has agreements with three community colleges in the region that allow students to take their first sixty hours at a two-year school and then transfer as a junior to the University.

Audi Henderson, who chose Delta Community College after high school, said that at the time she feels she made the right choice in her selection.

Henderson did not follow a TOPS curriculum in high school, but wanted to keep all of her options open after graduation.  She felt Delta offered what she needed.

“No matter what I chose to do, I was going to have to have my general education classes,” said Henderson.

Hannah Livingston, a ULM MBA student and former Student Government Assoc. president, said that students like Henderson were the students that administration had in mind while making the agreements.

“Two-and-two agreements give high school students who originally thought they did not want to go to college a second chance at a degree,” said Livingston.

Livingston also said that she feels that any student who could enter ULM immediately after high school should do so.

“Freshman year can make or break a college career,” said Livingston.

Livingston said that a student’s first year on campus is the most important because it is the most influential in shaping post-high school life.

“Your first year is when everything is new,” said Livingston.  “It’s a chance to scope out your new environment, make friends and get involved.”

She also added that the friendships and experiences made in a student’s first year will benefit that student throughout their college career.  Students who elect a two-year school over ULM to start with may miss out on this critical time.

Henderson agrees, stating that she would advise any graduating senior who had the chance to go to a four-year school to take advantage of the opportunity right away rather than starting at a two year school.

Students on both sides of the agreements feel that beginning at a four year university is still the best route to take.