Campus feels lingering effects of severe drought

Isaiah Montgomery

Droughts plague the southern U.S., which is starting to leave a visible impact here in Monroe.

Since Aug. 1, Monroe has been well behind on rainfall, only receiving 50% of the rain that it usually gets in that timeframe.

Drought isn’t uncommon, especially in the summer and fall months, but the current drought developed so quickly and suddenly that it caught many off guard.

This type of drought is known as a flash drought. Flash droughts occur when temperatures run well above average at the same time that precipitation falls below average, according to the NOAA.

One way to measure drought is to measure its hydrological impact, which is the droughts’ impact on rivers and streams. Lower water levels usually indicate this.

Bayou Desiard, the 28-mile-long bayou that runs through the heart of campus, is very vulnerable to sharp rises or drops in water level due to its small watershed.

That being said, the bayou has seen record low levels in recent weeks. The United States Geological Survey reported that the water level has fallen below 11 feet for the first time since the gauge on Northeast Drive was installed early in 2022.

During last fall’s severe drought, the lowest recorded water value was 11.84 feet, which is still a foot higher than where it is right now, a 10.65 feet.

According to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, these decreasing water levels leave high concentrations of birds living in a shrinking body of water. This reduces water quality and increases the risk of disease spreading through wildlife.

Drought severity has also been linked to disease outbreaks in deer, putting a strain on the local ecosystem.

Lower water levels are exposing more shoreline, as well as underwater tree roots, rocks and pipes meant to be buried under feet of water. Since these objects aren’t meant to be close to the water’s surface, they present a new hazard to boaters and kayakers. 

In recent days, the water level has been dropping at a higher rate, with the bayou losing around 0.6 inches of water height every day. This small amount adds up since Monroe hasn’t seen significant rainfall in weeks.

Rainfall is forecasted to return to the area on Thursday, but it’s not going to be enough to come back from our deep deficit immediately. Monthly forecasts from the Climate Prediction Center show the drought conditions will likely persist through October, with some long-term relief possible by the end of the year.