Campus living gets complicated

Students dig through pockets as $150 deposit is demanded

As the end of the semester gets closer, students are itching to sign up for housing for the 2011-2012 academic year, even with the new fee changes.

Bayou Village and Commons II are hot commodities amongst the ULM students.

In fact, they are so sought af­ter that students decided to camp outside of Residential Life, over night, to better their chances of re­ceiving one or the other.

Yet, because there are so many reservations followed by cancella­tions at the last minute, student’s chances of receiving their first choice are lowered.

The problem has resulted in ULM implementing a new poli­cy where $150 prepayment of fall housing is due by June 1.

Initially ULM only charged a $50 reservation fee due at the time of sign-ups.

If the prepayment isn’t paid by June 1, the student’s reservation will be cancelled.

Although some students may be excited about getting a particu­lar room, others aren’t particular­ly excited about the new fee being charged.

Sophomore marketing major from Shreveport, Jaquita Smith, isn’t too happy with having to come up with $150.

“I’m upset. Some of us rely on fi­nancial aid to pay for housing, and having to pay $150 out of pocket is not an easy thing to do, even if I’ll get it back with my refund,” said Smith.

However, sophomore kinesiol­ogy major from Jonesboro, Shane­tra Harris, understands the need for the change.

“I kind of understand why be­cause there are a lot of students cancelling at the last minute. You may have requested one dorm, but it got filled, so they placed you in different dorm and then some­one cancelled, but you already have an assigned room.“

Harris explained that she un­derstood the reasoning behind the process.

“I also understand that some students depend on financial aid,” she added.

View Comments (1)