Professor departures create problem for faculty, students

Students often assume that teachers are infallible, but when they prove to be only human, students might find themselves dealing with unwelcome changes to a class.

In some cases class work ends up getting pushed back, until there isn’t enough time left.

Psychology freshman Cory Williams from Bossier City, has a teacher that often miss­es class.

“Normally what happens is we have a day of review before the test, and then he con­tinues with the normal lesson. If possible, another teacher should sub or follow up on lessons.”

Also, since the loss of the Sociology depart­ment’s professor Har­ry Hale, many students from his classes have had to adjust to new teachers and a heavier workload.

Students say the first week after the change was the biggest ad­justment.

Amanda Scott, a freshman biology major from Delhi, has never experienced a teach­er passing or taking a leave of absence but knows of others who have.

“My roommate, Erin, told me the week af­ter her professor left things were different, but [ULM] had an actual replacement right after that first week, so it wasn’t bad.”

Many of Hale’s students, however, say the change hasn’t been as smooth as they would have liked, and they are looking to the facul­ty to see what processes are in place to han­dle this kind of situation.

Stephen Richters, ULM’s Provost, assures that all colleges are prepared for departures.

“The dean of the college ensures that a re­placement faculty member is immediately placed in the course(s) vacated by the facul­ty member who is unable to continue.”

For the long term, “the dean will consid­er hiring replacement faculty to ensure that sufficient courses are taught to serve our stu­dents,” Richters said.

Teachers also have to take medical leave or extended absences for other reasons. Because of the unique nature of each teacher’s situation, it is difficult to decide exactly who will “re­place” that person.

For now, students and faculty will have to continue coping with the loss of a professor on a case-by-case basis.