Career Connections helps students find work during semester’s job expo

Potential student workers flooded the SUB ballrooms in search of new jobs during the fall job expo.

The ULM office of Career Connections and Experiential Education holds the expo at the beginning of each semester. This semester, some 300 students filled the ballroom seeking part-time employment.

Twenty-six campus departments and 11 off-campus businesses set up tables to entice students to work for them.

Roslynn Pogue, ULM Student Employment Director, said the job expo is one of the most successful events Career Connections holds. She said employing students is important to the University because so many students need jobs.

Pogue said the expo provides a unique opportunity for employers and students to meet in a central location and solve their employment needs.

“Instead of students going all over, we bring them here,” said Pogue.

Now in her third year of throwing these expos, Pogue said she finds the expos to be personally rewarding. Pogue said she had to work while she was a student, so she understands how difficult life can be for student-workers.

“I think the idea of helping them find a job is very rewarding,” said Pogue.

Pogue said off-campus business interest in the expo is on the rise. This semester’s event had more off-campus businesses represented than any held before.

Johnna Metz, Catering Director for Aramark who handles catering on-campus, said this was the company’s first time to participate in the Career Connections expo. She said the event was definitely worth her company’s time.

“We want student workers,” said Johnna. “Many don’t have ways off campus, so we can accommodate them.”

The expos seem to be working as some students were hired on the spot.

Destiny Dumas, a freshman radiation technology major from Winnsboro, came to the expo needing a job. She left as the newest employee for the College of Education and Human Development.

“If you want a job on campus, this is where you should come,” said Dumas of the expo.

Pogue said students might still be able to get a campus job even if they missed the expo. She said more information is available on their website, or interested students can contact the Career Connections office.