Construction a problem for disabled

Construction workers start work diligently on Friday morning to repair sidewalks.

Anyone on campus the last few weeks has probably come across a place where the sidewalks have been uprooted.

Lawrence Thorn, director of the physical plant, said that they had hoped to be done by this past week, but it might take a couple more weeks to make sure everything is in order and properly built.

“We wanted to eliminate the cracks and dangerous spots in the sidewalks,” Thorn said.

Work on completing the sidewalks began on Friday morning with a crew pouring fresh concrete into the uprooted sidewalk holes.

While it may not hinder most people, the physically disabled have to alter their routes to get around the broken sidewalks until they are fixed.

Matt Midyett, a senior mass communications major who is physically disabled, uses an electric wheelchair to get around.

“It’s more of an inconvenience than a hardship because I have to change my route to class,” Midyett said. “I have it easier than most wheelchair users do.”

It is a lot harder for manual wheelchairs to divert into the grass to dodge obstacles.

Grass is more taxing and requires more energy to push through.