Exam schedules have some students smiling, others stressing out

Pharmacy student Atheia Holland studies in the library for the first round of tests this semester.

Different classes evaluate test times, how they clash

Testing is all part of the college experience, but the scheduling of those tests can sometimes be an issue.

Undergraduates generally learn when they will have tests during the first week of school after each teacher hands out a syllabus. However, with thousands of students at this university, it is impractical to accommodate every student’s needs in the test schedules for each class. As a result, sometimes tests overlap, and students have to take multiple tests on the same day or take them at night.

“I don’t have weekly tests but when it’s time for one, I usually have at least 2, maybe 3,” said Meghan Conners, a graphic design and marketing senior from St. Louis, Mo. “I like the fact that I can get all of my tests out the way, but also I hate it because I’m constantly studying for all that material.”

However, testing schedules sometimes vary between colleges at ULM. The college of pharmacy, for example, has its own test schedule that is separate from the rest of the university. Students are given a master schedule of all of their tests and finals for the semester shortly after classes begin. Once the master schedule is out, pharmacy students have two weeks to with their classmates and petition to have the test dates moved to another time.

“They spread the tests out so that you usually don’t have more than one in the same day. I have time to study and do what I need to do,” said Kenneth Parker, a pharmacy P3 from New Orleans.