Inspiring alumna shares her story of overcoming adversity to find success

former student Vicki Gilliam
former student Vicki Gilliam

Graduate becomes a leading law voice in Mississippi

former student Vicki Gilliam

Vicki Gilliam has struggled all her life. As a baby, she was underdeveloped and parentless in a New Orleans convent. Later in life, she struggled as a young mother who had to commute more than an hour oneway each day so she could graduate college. But with ULM’s help, Gilliam is now one of the top legal minds in Mississippi.

“Without ULM sitting exactly where it is, I would not have been able to attain a degree,” said Gilliam.

Gilliam was the lead attorney for the plaintiffs in the HBO documentary “Mann v. Ford,” the tale of the Ramapough Indian tribe’s battle against the Ford Motor Company over dumping on their lands.

Gilliam said in her speech the lessons she learned at ULM helped her overcome the challenges in her early life to become an advocate for those who need her help.

“I can provide a voice, and it can be very loud, to communicate for those who need me,” Gilliam said.

Gilliam listed several ULM professors who she said made a tremendous impact in steering her on a path to become the successful, confident woman she is today. She even referred back to an old textbook from a history class to help her form her speech.

Little did she know at the time the professor who had assigned that book, H.P. Jones, would make a surprise appearance at the end of the speech. The heartwarming reunion brought several in the audience to tears as the mentor and his protégé met once again.

“I’m so proud for her, and I’m proud for the college,” said Jones. “She’s just a good asset to humanity.”

Gilliam decided to get her law degree on the urging of a former ULM professor. She now owns her own law firm in Mississippi.

She also plays a large part in Mississippi politics by holding fundraisers for Democratic candidates on various levels of government, including candidates for president.

Gilliam said she wanted to tell her success story, not to promote the great things she has done, but to promote what ULM has done for her.