Pharmacy hosts walk for heart disease funds

Colleges help raise awareness of US’s most lethal disease

Heart disease has been the number one cause of death in Americans since the 1970’s. There are over 50 types of heart disease that affect the heart and the blood vessels within it.

Congenital heart disease is a form that people are born with, while others develop over time.

The American Heart Association’s (AHA) Heart Walk showed people the best way to help avoid heart disease is through prevention and awareness.

Each year the College of Pharmacy hosts this walk to raise money for funding research, education and advocacy efforts of the AHA.

This year ULM significantly improved its efforts by raising $2,308. The money was raised from members of different departments. The pharmacy department, with 21 volunteers, raised $1,520. The Business department, with seven volunteers, raised $438. The Kinesiology department, with five volunteers, raised $350.

Pharmacy volunteers spent weeks before the walk taking donations for the AHA. Anytime someone donated, their name was placed on a paper heart and placed on display in the College of Pharmacy.

On the day of the walk, those volunteers performed BMI calculations, blood glucose screenings and the Student Nurses Association came out to help do blood pressure monitoring.

The Pharmacy department and AHA do this every year to raise awareness by inspiring others to take the initiative to live a longer, happier and ultimately healthier life.