$17 million in renovation funds could one day benefit museum

Curator Gary Stringer discusses at the news conference how the musuem could benefit if the exhibits were moved to Hanna Hall.

The University received $17.1 million Friday in capital outlay funds to renovate Sandel Hall, according to President Nick Bruno, who called the funds “another big step for ULM.”

The renovation means that the ULM Natural History Museum will be able to move into a new home, possibly Hanna Hall.

Museum curator Gary Stringer said the expected new location for the museum will add 60 percent more exhibit space, allowing for more total exhibits, more developed exhibits and being able to display various stored artifacts.

The announcement of the funds came one day after the museum was added to the Louisiana Heroes and Heritage Trail. The trail is a list of prestigious museums promoted by the secretary of state’s office. The museum expects to see a lot more exposure, and therefore visitors, by being added to the list.

The new location in Hanna Hall would allow for easier access to the museum. More parking will also be available to accommodate the expected influx of new visitors.

Mary Durusau, museum director for the secretary of state’s office, said being part of the Heritage trail meant that bus tours travelling along the I-20 corridor would likely be stopping to visit the museum. Hanna Hall would provide for easy access for tour buses and school buses who may visit on field trips.

Stringer was most excited about a new space was the opportunity to have interactive exhibits for the kids.

“Kids like to touch things and a lot of times you can’t really touch the displays,” Stringer said. “Interactive features give them a chance to feel a part of it.”