Speech and Hearing Clinic offers hope, community service

The Speech and Hearing Clinic looks normal, but for some, this clinic is a place where miraculous things can happen, like people learning to speak again.

To most, the Kitty DeGree Speech and Hearing Clinic probably looks like any other clinic. Gray walls. Tile floors. A receptionist clicking away behind a computer screen. But for some patients, it’s not just a clinic. It’s a place where miracles happen.

“It’s the joy in someone’s face when they realize they can talk again, or swallow again,” said Sarah Hayes, clinical coordinator. According to Hayes, 57 patients are being treated by ULM graduate students at the Kitty DeGree and Scottish Rite clinics this semester.

The two campus clinics are open to the public, and Hayes said no one ever pays more than ten dollars for an hour of treatment. If a family can prove they are on a restricted budget or have no ability to pay, the fee can be waved.

Dr. Johanna Boult, head of the department of speech-language pathology, said, “We try to provide a quality education for our graduate students first and foremost, and in doing that, we are also able to provide community service.”

Apart from the clinics, the SLP department visits local schools, Head Start programs and health fairs to provide speech and hearing screenings. Students and faculty give tips on how to prevent speech disorders, and how to protect your ears and vocal chords.

Dr. Boult said the experience of being a speech-language pathologist is rewarding in many different ways.

“We’re really, really lucky to do what we do. I get to satisfy my love of language and communication and my love of helping others at the same time.”

The students in her program share her opinion. “Working with a client and seeing his or her progress throughout the semester is so satisfying; ultimately, the communication skills we teach our clients directly enhance their lives and personal relationships,” said graduate student Kendall O’Hara.

ULM’s speech-language pathology program is predicted to keep growing.

According to Dr. Boult, the number of master’s level students is expected to double next year.

This means more clients can be admitted to the clinic, and more patients can receive the miracle of communication