Campus decks the halls with lights

Reindeer, like the ones above, are just a taste of the many festive lights that will illuminate campus during the holiday season.

Every year ULM has their annual Christmas Lighting in the Quad. This year’s lighting will be at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the quad.

The whole Quad is lit during a special ceremony centered by a large Christmas tree that stands over the fountain in the Quad. But what actually goes into making all of this happen?

Bryan Thorn, director of the physical plant, said there is a lot that goes into putting the lights up and getting them working. There is also a lot of equipment that is used to make the whole process easier.

“We usually start decorating the large trees in the Quad first. The trees are so tall now it requires the use of a man lift to reach the tops,” said Thorn.

The Christmas tree is made up of a steel frame that bolts together in sections, and then each limb is attached to the frame. The limbs are prewired and all plug together.

A 135 foot lift is used to hang the wreaths and lights on the library bell tower. All of the decorations are wired so they can be turned on at the same time during the lighting ceremony. After the ceremony, the lights are tied into timers so that they can be turned on each night at the same time.

Nathan Hall, assistant vice president of student life, said the lighting has become a tradition and helps the campus look more festive.

He also said that some changes will be made this year, particularly with the name to make the event more widely accepted.

“Christmas at ULM is going to be changed to ULM’s Holiday Celebration.

We have many students that celebrate other holidays at the time. It is our responsibility as a university to be as inclusive as we can,” Hall said.

Courtney Walker, a senior music instrumental education major from Mesquite, Texas, said she always looks forward to the lighting.

“I am always excited to see and be a part of the lighting ceremony as a member of the ULM choir. You see them hanging in the trees and all over campus, until finally as the choir sings their last song there is a countdown to the lighting. When they are finally lit, the campus is basked in an amazingly beautiful glow, and it really makes it feel like Christmas on campus,” sald Walker.