Valentine’s Day: For better or for worse

Students share experiences of past, present

It seems roses, chocolate and oversized teddy bears are taking over the world as Valentine’s Day nears. Anyone old enough to have experienced their first crush can tell you what Valentine’s Day is: It’s the day where proclamations of love can be seen just about everywhere.
However, if Feb. 14 is “Single’s Awareness Day” to you, then it’s the day you get to mope around complaining about a broken heart, and no one can say anything about it.
It’s a win/win.
Students may be busy studying, but Cupid does not care about hectic schedules.
After all, the heart wants what the heart wants and when it wants it. So how do Warhawks feel about this day of grand gestures?
“Valent ine’s Day is my favorite holiday because of its meaning: love. Love is the greatest gift that God has given us,” said Abby Barthel, a senior psychology major from Rayville. “The idea of a day dedicated for love excites me tremendously. It’s like a pinch of Heaven!”
Adam Hunsucker, a mass communication graduate student, said one year he set up a scavenger hunt that ran through the city of Nashville, Tenn., for his girlfriend. At each stop, she had a new gift.
“It was a good idea on paper, except I sent her on this scavenger hunt during five o’clock traffic in Nashville,” he said.
While some are lucky enough to have their significant other by their side, others have to make it work via long distance.
“The hardest thing about a long distance relationship would have to be communication,” said Stormie Jones, a junior mass communication major of Rayville. “Time frames are different, and it’s not always easy to express your feelings or be able to talk to them because of the connection.”
For Valentine’s Day, Jones plans on exchanging gifts and video chatting with her boyfriend who is currently serving in the military over seas.
To some, Valentine’s Day is cheesy. To others, it is the most important day of the year.