Education program offers gift cards to failing students

Monroe School Board rewards class overtime

Monroe City School Board will offer $15 gift cards to failing students for participating in a supplemental educational program. Students can earn up to $75 for attendance.
Students at Carroll High School, MLK Jr. Middle School and Sherrouse Alternative School can take advantage of the program.
The gift cards will be provided by Fully Devoted Development of Children (FDDOC) Inc. of Shreveport.
FDDOC is a non-profit organization, which works with the Louisiana Department of Education and other educational organizations to provide after school education to needful students.
The daily cost is projected to be more than $70,000, with nearly 200 students qualifying for the gift cards, and the FDDOC teachers raking in a $55-an-hour pay.
Students must attend a full-day’s session in order to receive the gift cards. Sessions can be from four to four and a half hours long. The program allows students to make almost $4 an hour for sitting in their desks.
“It’s so early and the way the program just kicked off. We’re really trying to be careful and do it right,” said Brian Holland, an FDDOC employee. Holland said there’s no way to clearly measure the results for Monroe City Schools yet, but they’re
expecting great things.
Others aren’t so optimistic about the program.
“I don’t believe they should be bribing students like that,” said William Mitchell, a sophomore music education major. “If you’re taking a supplemental class, that’s a class for your own good. It’s just like taking college classes.”
Mitchell said schools should become more hands-on with the kids by having them participate in more after-school programs sponsored by the school itself and not by an outside organization.