Colleges nationwide begin banning water bottles

Environmental groups on college campuses around the U.S. have been issuing bans against water bottles being sold on campus.

More than 20 schools have banned water bottles because of environmental and health concerns about the industry. The students at these schools want reusable bottle handouts, water fountains and filling stations.

Aramark Food Services Director  Robert Hoag said there have been no discussions about removing bottled water from ULM’s campus.

ULM receives Dasani bottled water from Coca-Cola. To date, more than 33,000 water bottles have been sold on ULM’s campus.

John Hughes, a graduate student in communication studies, said he thinks the local environment would benefit greatly if the University quit selling water in plastic bottles.

“I’ve participated in too many bayou cleanup efforts where a large portion of what I pull out of the water consists of plastic bottles,” Hughes said.

Amber Atkins, a senior business major from Monroe, said she’d be super angry if the University stopped selling water bottles on campus.

“All the athletes and members of VAPA especially have to drink a lot of water to stay healthy,” Atkins said.

Atkins also said even though she doesn’t think water bottles should be banned she does think “water bottles can pose risks to the environment if not disposed of properly.”

According to a Dasani fact sheet, since Dasani was launched in 1999 ,they’ve reduced the amount of plastic used in the brand’s 500 ml bottle by more than 40 percent and the 20-ounce bottle by 22 percent.

The fact sheet also said Dasani’s goal is to eventually offer plastic bottles made with 100 percent renewable and recycled raw materials – turning waste into a resource.

ULM used to have an organization for environmental well-being called Green H.O.P.E., but the group no longer meets.