Social media meets sports world

Social media has found its fit into the sports world. Finally a perfect fill for what was an empty space.

The relationship between fans, athletes, owners and media has been awkward for so long, but with Facebook and Twitter, it has become more of a bond. It brings a learning aspect, revenue and increases fan bases.

Athletes tweeting and posting statuses on Facebook builds fan bases by allowing fans into their minds, giving fans a chance to learn the personalities of their favorite athletes.

Thanks to social media statuses I can pick out the insecure and sensitive athletes like Oklahoma City Thunder center Kendrick Perkins. I can get some good laughs from the jokesters of the sports world like Floyd Mayweather Jr., and I can learn swagger from people like Jim Irsay, the NFL owner who owns original Elvis “The King” Presley guitars.

For the first time in the NFL players were allowed to Tweet during the Pro Bowl game. The Pro Bowl has been so watered down recently that it has become a bore to watch.

So, commissioner Roger Goodell decided to place computers on each sideline so that players would feel free to Tweet. It was a smart business move by the commissioner to try and get fans engaged in the most boring game of the year.

Last Saturday, fans voted via Twitter for the NBA All-Star weekend’s slam champion. Since the beginning of the competition, judges would sit courtside and rate the dunks for an overall winner.

Social media has become the glue that sticks fans and sports closer and tighter.

It is a good place for fans to voice opinions to and about athletes, and it allows athletes to respond.

In the recent Jeremy Lin’s “Lin-sanity” craze fans were able to voice their opinions about the New York Knicks point guard and the success he has brought the team. Some worried the return of Carmelo Anthony to the lineup would destroy the team’s chemistry.

A fan tweeted, “Wonder if @carmeloanthony knows or cares how terrified #Knicks fans are about his return.” Anthony responded, “I didn’t realize that. Thanx4update.”

Had this been the ‘80s, the fan would have likely made the statement to Anthony in person, and the response would not have been as sarcastic. Probably more serious, maybe even an altercation would have occurred.

Recently, a Washington Wizards fan struck a nerve when he decided to bring up an old rumor about Miami Heat’s Lebron James’ mother sleeping with former teammate point guard Delonte West.

Had this fan tweeted his comment, James likely would not have responded, which would have caused no attention. Because it was in the middle the Heat’s dismantling of the Washington Wizards, tempers flared and security had to step in.

With social media bridging the gap in the sports world, fan intensity should rise.

But we must be careful fans do not become too intense and tied into their team. We don’t want to end up like the European riots where fans feel obligated to defend teams after losses.