Construction students place at competition

ULM construction students placed at the 2012 ASC/TEXO Region V Student Competition in Dallas. Two ULM teams placed in the competition categories: Design-Build and Heavy /Civil.

After meeting on Saturday, Feb. 18, the Design- Build team was given their task. They received a proposal to build an interpretive nature center in Dallas. They were given 16 hours to design, estimate and schedule the building with a midnight deadline.

The team consisted of Daniel Norman, Jared Gallian, Albert Stevenson, James Waldron, Holten Elmore and Amelia Mixon.

The next day, the team traveled to Dallas. They presented their project the following Monday.

They competed with other teams from schools in Oklahoma and Texas.

The team placed third, and Daniel Norman received third in Best Presenter for their competition.

“We had a great time, and it was an excellent experience for all of us!” said Amelia Mixon, a senior construction management major from Monroe.

Louis Tolliver, Dolph Minard, Robert Baskind, Wes Mouk, Jonathan Lipsey and William Crowe placed second in the Heavy/Civil competition.

“We were given a set of specifications and drawings. We had to come up with a schedule, estimate and complete the bid documents,” said William Crowe, a junior construction management major from Oak Grove.

The team also had to answer more than 30 contract questions. They worked for 16 hours straight, according to Crowe.