The business of caring

Kim Taylor arrived at work on Monday and found an email in her inbox from the International Student Organization. Five Nepali students lost everything in a house fire the day before.

Taylor scrolled the names of the victims, and one stood out – Sudil Shrestha. Taylor is the adviser for the computer science students, and Shrestha is one of her students.

Taylor met with an associate dean, and they discovered two more of the victims, Babel Basnet and Nabaraj Kandel, were also business majors.

“Sudil is a very sweet guy,” Taylor said. “As far as family here they have no one. You cant help but think, ‘oh my gosh, someone has to help them.’”

Taylor sent an email to the business faculty to tell them about the business college’s connection and asked for help. She got it.

Two of her classes Monday gave $150 on the spot. One student thought he might be able to bring a box of t-shirts from the shirt factory where his wife worked.

Other faculty members flooded her inbox asking how to help. One teacher dropped off flash-drives. Others brought checks, offered text books and peppered her with questions about what the students needed.

Before she knew it, Taylor had become the business college’s go-to person for disaster relief. Still, Taylor is quick to shirk the credit. In fact, she runs from it.

“All I did was send an email,” she said. “It wasn’t just me. There’s been no hesitation from people wanting to help.”

The business college, as well as several other colleges and organizations, is working with the ISO for donations for the fire victims.