Teachers battle proposed education bills

Teachers from across the state recently protested in Baton Rouge against Gov. Bobby Jindal’s education reform plans. Teachers flocked to the capital city even with the beginning of state-wide testing.

Despite the protests, one bill allowing vouchers recently passed the House of Representatives and will now go to the Senate.

Jindal’s tactics to pass his reform has come under scrutiny from the teachers’ unions and members of the public. The issue is divisive and appears to be approaching a problem of legality rather than public support.  The unions are suing the state, declaring the bills unconstitutional.

Education majors at ULM have varying opinions on the bills. Their feelings range from positive to negative to right on the fence. 

“I’m kind of both ways about it.  What [Jindal’s] trying to do is good.  He’s trying to hold people accountable for their actions, but there are already teachers who are trying to do that,” said Emily Lovelady, a sophomore education major.  

Lovelady said the governor has good intentions but doesn’t think this particular reform plan is the right way to go. She thinks there are a lot of good teachers, and they are the ones who are angry about the plan. 

“They’re frustrated because they’re already doing all they can,” she said.  

One bill eliminates tenure for high school teachers and raises the retirement age for professors at universities. It will require a new teacher evaluation system, which would reward or punish teachers based on the grades their students make. 

Opponents worry the bill will hinder teachers and cause varying degrees of education in the state.  Sarah Gibson, a sophomore education major, said the plans are misguided.   

“Eliminating tenure just puts more pressure on teachers, and so it’s not about what you have to do to help your students but about how to keep your jobs,” Gibson said. 

Gibson said it isn’t fair to base teacher effectiveness on standardized tests.  She said some students have test anxiety or bad home conditions, so they might not do well on a test.  Gibson said Louisiana’s education standards need to change if education is going to get better.  

Jessica Lyons, a junior education major, said the plans are “kind of scary.” 

She thinks the system has lost its meaning and the focus of the education system needs to be adjusted. 

“I don’t think our system is student based. I don’t think it’s based on their needs. Maybe we should change the curriculum and what’s required,” Gibson said.