The write teamwork

English Lab Takes Top Honors For Best Student Group.

Career Connections hosted a Student Worker Appreciation Day last Tuesday. It was complete with a banquet and a small awards ceremony recognizing the achievements and dedications of ULM student workers.The day corresponded with National Student Employment Week.
Many students were nominated to receive student worker appreciation awards.
Emily Bertrand won the Student Employee of the Year Award. Bertrand, a senior pre-radiologic technology major, said she has the “best boss ever” and thanked him for helping her in her achievements.
And, the Write Place won the group award for best student workers.
“As we work together, we build a strong sense of community,” said Hunter Harris, an English graduate student, about his group at the Write Place. “We had a lot of different types of students, and we have to adapt.”
The Write Place is located in Walker Hall and offers students help with their writing assignments.
ULM President Nick Bruno signed a proclamation, along with West Monroe Mayor Dave Norris and Monroe Mayor Jaime Mayo, declaring last week as Student Employee Appreciation Week at ULM in West Monroe and in Monroe. However, Mayo was not able to attend the ceremony.
“Student employments give ULM students the ability to earn an income and offset debt so commonly accrued by college graduates,” Bruno said.
Norris reminisced about his days at ULM as a student worker and later as a professor.
“My associations with ULM started in the 1960s when your parents weren’t born yet,” Norris said.
“Times have really changed,” Norris said, as he related to the crowd that when he went to school his tuition and fees cost less than some books do now.