Stafford elected as SGA president

Runoff to be held for treasurer, secretary spots

The Student Government Associations held its officer elections last week. Calvin Stafford was elected SGA president and Jessica Richards was elected vice president.
SGA is currently making arrangements for a runoff election between Clayton Branton and Ash Aulds for the secretary’s position and Samantha Craig and Clint Branton for the treasurer’s position.  The losers of the runoff elections will serve the SGA as senators-at-large.
“In the past, the SGA has been run by one select group of people. This year is going to be different,” said Stafford, referring to the large number of Greek students in SGA. “I think of myself kind of being the president of the underdogs.”
Sophie Barksdale, who lost in her bid for the presidency, was not available for comment, but she did post about the election results on her Facebook wall. She said she is looking on the bright side. Barksdale also said she aimed to “set the record straight.”
“It was stated that I was not qualified to run in this election, which is untrue…Any accusation that says the rules were bent or broken for me to run are lies,” Barksdale said in the Facebook post.
Barksdale was referring to a clause in the bylaws, which says only someone who has served as treasurer, secretary or vice president can run for president. Further research by election officials showed Barksdale’s position of executive assistant to the president did qualify her to run, but the changes have not been reflected in the bylaws.
The College of Arts and Sciences elected 10 senators: Ray Kajkarnikar. Philip Petit, Sophie Barksdale, Lauren Bell, Clayton Branton, Clint Branton, Jessie Rhodes, Kimberlee Poole, Ash Aulds and Allison Friloux, including two associate senators – Emily Benton and Benjamin Stokes.
The College of Pharmacy elected three senators and two associate senators: Hai Bui, Adrian LeJeune, Raven Gros, Dylan LeBlanc and Jameshia Below.
The College of Human and Educational Development elected four senators and two associate senators:  Brooke McMillian, Rick Sanders, Max Campbell, Colton Bernstein, Haley Alford and Lindsey Dartlon.
“I’m going to keep doing things to make the University better,” said Rick Sanders, an incumbent member of the SGA.  “I don’t really see a need for change, so much as a need for more students to get involved.”
The College of Business elected Emily Veuleman, Holly Betts, Christina Gray, Brad Neville, John Henderson and Michael Farrior.

View Comments (2)