Secular student group offers different viewpoint

The Secular Student Alliance  is a group dedicated to spreading the ideas of science, reason and logic.

Taylor Diaz, a member of the group, said ULM needed the group because she does not think science is given a fair shake in an area absorbed with churches.

“I joined because I think that science is misunderstood and the appreciation of such is lacking,” said Diaz, a senior English major.

“There are even biology students that pitch a fit about learning evolution, the thing that’s the backbone of all biology,” she said. “There are still people who close their eyes and say, ‘No! I was created from dirt!’ even though there is no evidence for that and all of science contradicts it.”

The group’s founder and president, Jesse Pope, a senior in mathematics, said the group is open to everyone, including those who have religious beliefs.

Pope said her intention in founding the group was to create a network where ULM students could come together and discuss ideas without a religious subtext. The SSA held a Bible study where members discussed biblical text with a secular viewpoint.

“Our main stressing point is that we’re not a mean atheistic group that’s here to hate on religion,” Pope said.  “It’s not about ‘anti-religion,’ and it’s not a political organization. It’s just a group for secularists.”

Pope said people are often confused by the word secular.

“Secular means separate from the church. It does not mean non-believer,” Pope said.

She said there are members of the group who are Catholic, Jewish, atheist, agnostic and even pagan. The SSA is meant for students who want to look at the world in a different way.

The SSA will hold a fundraiser with their “Light the Night” theme to raise money for leukemia and lymphoma charities in November. The SSA is scheduled to meet at 5:30 p.m. onWednesday. A location has not been set yet. Those interested in becoming a part of the SSA can join their group on Facebook.  They can search for “Secular Student Alliance at ULM” or email Pope at
[email protected].

**Editor’s note:  In the original publication Taylor Diaz is wrongfully listed as the group’s president.  The Hawkeye apologizes for this mistake, and a correction has been made to Hawkeye Online.**