Bridge program expands OTA’s career opportunities

The University of Louisiana System’s Board of Supervisors recently approved ULM’s proposal for an Occupational Therapy Assistants to Masters of Occupational Therapy Bridge Program.

The program can expand career opportunities for certified occupational therapy assistants.

The proposal will be presented to the Board of Regents for approval in October. If approved, the anticipated start of the program is Fall 2013.

Patti Calk, department head of the Occupational Therapy Department, notes the importance of having a MOT Bridge program in Louisiana.

“Currently practicing Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants are going out of state to attend MOT bridge programs. Having the OTA to MOT Bridge program at ULM will keep these practitioners in the state which will not only save the students money, but also stimulate our economy by keeping tuition fees here in Louisiana,” said Calk.

The proposed degree can be completed in approximately two and a half years. The program will be comprised of 69 credit hours, which would include instructional online projects and once a month in-depth weekend classes on the ULM campus. The idea of the hybrid program is for already practicing OTA’s to be able to continue to work, while expanding their education.

Only certified Occupational Therapy Assistants, who possess a bachelor’s degree and certain pre-requisites, are eligible to apply for the Master’s of Occupational Therapy Bridge Program.

Steps to receive accreditation from Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education are already being taken by the department of occupational therapy.

The department, as well as students, is eager for the program to begin.

“The reaction to the proposed program has been extremely positive. I receive multiple phone calls and emails daily to provide information and review transcripts of OTAs who want to apply to the program once the program is approved. Greater than 70 percent of the students that have gone through the OTA program in the last three years have indicated an interest in returning for the MOT bridge program,” said Calk.