Frats greet new brothers with bid parties

Polo hats, sunglasses and red Solo cups took over Monroe as the IFC fraternities welcomed the newest members to their brotherhoods by celebrating with bid day parties.

Delta Sig, Kappa Sig, Kappa Alpha and PIKE each had their own bid day parties at different locations throughout the area on Friday night, Sept. 7.

“We think of it as a way to celebrate these young men’s choice to want to better themselves both as young men in society and as active students here at ULM,” said Dwayne Hammer, a first year Pharmacy student and president of the ULM chapter of Delta Sig.

Delta Sig opted for having their party at a member’s house with a slipping slide and grilling.

Both Kappa Alpha and PIKE had their parties at their respective fraternity houses. These two fraternities are currently the only IFC fraternities with fraternity houses. Kappa Sig held their party at the American Legion Hall by Forsythe Park.

Buses were used to transfer fraternity members and many girls in attendance from the campus to the American Legion Hall for the Kappa Sig party.

It was not only just a night of fun and partying, it was a night of celebration and congratulations as young men stepped towards a new path in their college journey.

For one Kappa Sig, it was about welcoming his new brothers and commending them on joining the fraternity.

“Bid day is a celebration of the new guys choosing to want to join us,” said Mark Kerry, a senior Biology major and member of Kappa Sig.

Each fraternity was proud of their new members and welcomed them warmly.