Numbers conclude enrollment down

For the 2010-11 school year, overall enrollment for undergraduates has gone down by two percent, but the university has maintained stability and made some major steps in other areas.

Students applying to college each year do not realize how their enrollment will affect their new school. That aspect of the enrollment process, however, is the focus of university’s faculty and staff.

The average ACT score has stayed at its high of 21.7, a testament to ULM’s rising standards for admission.

Although higher admission standards make some students ineligible for acceptance at ULM, interim president Dr. Richters said, “We are interested in increasing performance standards. We hope to entice better students.”

The change in these standards isn’t likely to be the cause behind enrollment decrease, said Richters. There has also been a 25 percent increase in the dual enrollment program, and will likely continue to go up. Dual enrollment is available to high school students who are still attending class in high school but want to start college courses.

“ULM has tried to maintain a certain standard that is flexible enough to include dual enrollment students,” said Dr. Christian Rubio, ULM’s honors program director.

At the same time, the school is also increasing programs with community colleges throughout the state.

At the same time, there has been a significant increase in tuition, which may explain the drop in enrollment this year.

Dr. Richters said, “Since about 46 percent of the students here are Pell eligible, any rise in tuition makes it more difficult, but it’s critical universities can provide services for students.”

Tuition is likely to continue to increase, as schools go from relying on state funding to relying more heavily on tuition.

Expanding the online program, which has increased by 14 percent this year, is meant to attract students who normally wouldn’t be interested in ULM as well as non-traditional students.

With high hopes and several plans in progress, ULM expects to see an increase in enrollment in the near future.