NLBCDC receives $50k grant for incubator

Northeast Louisiana Business and Community Development Center received a $50,000 grant to further develop the business incubator.

The grant, provided by the Louisiana Business Incubation Association and Louisiana Economic Development, marks the second large contribution made by LBIA and LED toward the NLBCDC. Last October, LBIA and LED made a $50,000 investment in the center.

The center is is affiliated with the College of Business Administration and located in Stubbs Hall. It provides economic and community development support for northeast Louisiana by counseling and supporting new businesses.

A grant awarded last year was used to begin renovations on the center. The new grant’s main contribution, the business incubator, will be an important aspect in NLBCDC’s idea in supporting economic development.

“A lot of times when you’re starting a business you need to be in an environment where you can really be nurtured and receive counseling and help. Also, support in terms of writing business plans and marking plans and things like that,” said Susan Duggins, executive director of NLBCDC.

The most common incubator services include: networking activities, marketing assistance, secure funding, assistance with presentation skills, access to internet, office equipment, clerical services and more.

NLBCDC’s incubator will include the most common services as well as offer individual office spaces, conference rooms, a work room, a break room, onsite assistance and mentoring and adjacent parking.

“The incubator really is a good environment for people who are starting businesses,” Duggins said.

Senior management major, Baneita Smith sees the advantage of having the NLBCDC.

“I think it’s cool to help new companies start, especially considering the fact that I want to open and run my own business one day. It’s something good to look into,” Baneita said.

The center hopes to begin renting to tenants in November.