Voters to decide 9 proposed changes to state Constitution

Polls opened last week for early voting, and the Nov. 6, election is right around the corner. Here’s what’s being voted on in Louisiana.

There are nine constitutional amendments on the ballot:

Proposed Amendment No. 1 will place funds from the Medicaid Trust Fund under constitutional protection. This will keep the administration and legislature from using these funds in a budget crisis.

Proposed Amendment No. 2 will give Louisiana the strongest pro-gun laws in the country. It changes the constitution to say that the right to bear arms is fundamental and any restriction on that right is subject to strict judicial scrutiny—the highest form of legal review.

It might also allow for guns on college campuses and could challenge already existing laws for concealed carry.

Proposed Amendment No. 3 simply requires that the legislature file bills 45 days before the session starts, if those bills pertain to retirement systems for public employees.

Proposed Amendment No. 4 will allow the widow of a veteran, who had a 100 percent disability rating, to claim a higher homestead exemption even if it wasn’t in effect when the veteran died.

Proposed Amendment No. 5 will require any public servant to give up his or her public retirement benefits if he or she is convicted of a felony.

Proposed Amendment No. 6 will allow New Iberia to decide who gets a property tax exemption in its own city. It pertains only to New Iberia.

Proposed Amendment No. 7 is a little complicated. Louisiana lost a congressional district in the 2010 census. This amendment would compensate for that loss when it comes to boards based on the districts. Instead those boards losing a member, this amendment will make the “lost” member an at-large member.

Proposed Amendment No. 8 allows the State Board of Commerce to give a property tax exemption to non-manufacturing businesses.  They already are allowed to exempt manufacturing businesses. This extends it to non-manufacturing.

Proposed Amendment No. 9 requires the legislature to put out three separate notices at least 30 days prior to introducing a bill, which regards the creation of special districts. Most of these special districts pertain to crime prevention and security.

Voters also will decide the president of the United States. Candidates on the ballot include Barack Obama, Democrat; Mitt Romney, Republican; Gary Johnson, Libertarian; Jill Stein, Green Party; and Virgil Goode, Constitution Party.

In more national politics, voters in the fifth congressional district will elect a representative. On the ballot are incumbent Congressman Rodney Alexander and two challengers: Clay Steven Grant, Libertarian, and Ron Caesar, Independent.