SGA to proceed with fee increase

SGA plans on moving forward with a referendum to raise student fees more than $20 per student to go to athletics and the School of Visual and Performing Arts. But SGA has not completed any proposals to submit for a vote by the senate.

SGA Vice-President Jessica Richardson said they know what they want, but they haven’t figured out a way to word it just right.

“Where are we at on the referendum? I don’t know,” Richardson said.

SGA advisor Amanda May said the executive officers should have a plan ready by December.

The referendum will raise more than $220,000 for athletics and $20,000 dollars for VAPA if passed.

Students at ULM already generate more than $41.8 million in the schools total budget, a 34.8 percent increase since 2009, as the Hawkeye reported earlier in the semester.

This is the third referendum since 2011 that SGA has tried. The past two failed by a narrow margin.

“Athletics attracts more students, so if we have more students we’ll be able to keep more professors and programs,” Richardson said.

Athletic boosters help with costs, but boosters mostly give to scholarships, according to May.

“That’s athletics’ job [to ask for booster money], but we’ve had a lot of donations in the past couple of months,” said May, who will be leaving ULM after this semester.