Up ‘til Dawn sends letters to St. Jude’s

Students filled the top of the SUB on Nov. 14 to send out letters to friends and family about giving donations to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

Up ‘til Dawn hosted the annual Letter Sending event which in the past has raised about $20,000.

According to Andres Granada, the student advisor for the organization, it was the 9th annual Letter Sending.

“It’s cool to see the students get involved with a really good cause,” said Granada.

Granada said even though everyone has a hectic schedule, they always make time for Up ‘til Dawn.

Student organizations and groups of friends who just wanted to come together for a good cause participated. The students made up ‘teams’ and sat at tables to fill out their letters.

When students arrived they were given a medical bracelet to wear. Each bracelet had the name of a different child who is an actual patient at St. Jude. It also had what type of cancer the child had and was a reminder that despite all of the fun of the event, everyone was there for a purpose.

“It’s just really fun to be involved and to help the children,” said Emily Lovelady, a junior elementary education major.

Lovelady said that with being in college it’s much easier to donate time than money. 

Other students participated because the cause hit very close to home.

“In high school, I had a friend who got cancer…and she ended up going to St. Jude’s,” said Aisling Carbery-Shaha, a sophomore elementary education major.

Carbery-Shaha’s team was made up of members of the Associated Professional Educators of Louisiana. She said that since she was going to be a teacher, she felt it was important that she supported children.

Many students that night felt a connection with the event for reasons that maybe no one else really knew about. 

“My best friend in first grade died of cancer,” said Brittany Guillory, a junior pre-pharmacy major. 

Guillory said she couldn’t imagine a child having to deal with cancer.

Door prizes and Raisin’ Canes were provided. A live band also took the stage.