Boiler explodes; Fire Marshal cites university

Here’s what it boils down to.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office cited ULM a $500 fine after a boiler exploded on Jan. 3, outside of Stubbs Hall—injuring a worker and damaging the building that housed the boiler.

The employee is said to be recovering and “doing well,” according to a statement released from the university.

“The university identified procedural weaknesses and addressed those by implementing additional checks and balances for deferred maintenance and safety issues, thus reducing the probability of a similar reoccurrence,” the statement said.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the boiler in question had already been cited for deficiencies.

Repairs were not made and it was placed back into use, according to Deputy Chief Brant Thompson of the Fire Marshal’s Office.

“It could have certainly been worse,” Thompson said. “The doorway was open, which allowed some of the pressure to be relieved when it occurred.”

The Fire Marshal’s Office investigated 13 boilers on campus. Nine were in use with valid certificates. Four were not but had already had their gas service cut.

The building that housed the exploded boiler will need to be repaired since it sustained heavy damage after the explosion.

Thompson said the university has been “very cooperative” throughout the entire investigation.