Campus fight results in arrests

A fight between two students in Masur Hall on Monday led to one being maced, the other in need of stitches and both behind bars.

Freshmen Crystal Mitchell and Jametrice Johnson engaged in a brutal fight around 3 p.m. outside of Mitchell’s dorm room.

According to the affidavit obtained by the Ouachita Parish Sheriff Office, Johnson went to Mitchell’s dorm room and sprayed her in the face with mace once the door was opened.

Johnson then proceeded to attack Mitchell, and Mitchell fought back.

Mitchell soon pulled a box cutter from her back pocket and cut Johnson in the face.

Johnson received six stitches on the left side of her face.

Mitchell filed a complaint about the incident two days later. Her report was verified by ULM police’s security cameras.

Lt. Steven Mahon, officer in charge of ULM Police, said, “Our closure rate is high. That’s due in big part to our cameras.”

Both females involved met with police, waived their Miranda rights and gave statements to ULM Police. The girls were arrested and have been charged with felony-aggravated battery.

The girls will await trial, where they face up to a $5,000 fine and possible jail time at the Ouachita Correctional Center.

“ULM is a professional institution and I do not think the violence is needed or wanted by any student and faculty,” said Jerry Orange, a senior health studies major.

The fight took place at on the second floor of Masur Hall and was reportedly over an Instagram post.